Wood furniture can be quite expensive especially the hardwood types. What comes with the price though is quality material that would surely last for years. If proper care is given to your lavish wood furniture, it may serve the next generations in your family fairly well. Unfortunately, we would not really be able to avoid wear and tear for your furniture pieces. Signs of wear will definitely show over time especially on its exterior. If your lavish wood furniture is not looking so lavish anymore, don’t throw it away because refurbishing it is not so difficult to do. You can even add color to the wood to make it look modern and looking good as new.
Here are tips and guidelines on how to paint your wood furniture.
- Make sure to place a drop cloth or newspapers on the floor and do this painting project in a well ventilated area.
- If there are hardware pieces attached to the furniture, unscrew all if possible.
- For those dents, cracks and nail or screw holes (if you don’t need the holes anymore), cover them with a plastic wood putty. Just use a putty knife to spread the wood putty on the uneven areas.
- To make the surface look and feel as good as new, rub it with a fine grit sandpaper. This should remove the scratches and grainy areas on your furniture. Wipe the sawdust with a cloth or use a vacuum cleaner to get rid of it.
- Choose a water-based paint. You can paint your furniture using a paint brush or a foam brush. A paint roller may be handy if you need to apply another coating for a better coverage. When painting, overlap your strokes and paint in the direction of the wood grain.
- Use a primer before painting with your choice of color. Your paint would stick better if you use a primer. If you are using a bright or vivid color, you can add some of it to your primer for better coverage.
- If your furniture will be used outdoors, finish it off by painting it with a water-based varnish.